Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Tale of the Brain Hiccup

I hope this tale helps our NT allies to bear with us, and possibly even nudge us along, when Aspies are struck with the snag that befalls me sometimes---and likely, other Aspies.  I call it the brain hiccup.

 It strikes me most often when my emotions are running high, but it can accost me at any time.  My mind catches on some psychic detritus that I cannot name for the life of me, and it gets caught there.  When it happens, words elude me.  It's embarrassing as all get-out.  A chat has been humming along just fine; suddenly it screeches to a halt.  My companion makes a comment, and inwardly, I flail for a reply, in vain.  I can see their baffled expression as they wonder why I went mute.  They're waiting for me to respond.  That makes me flail more frantically for a response, which in turn makes a response go further into hiding.  I fumble for some lame comment to show that I'm not orbiting Jupiter.  Sometimes a stammering fit strikes.  Often, the conversation ends.  I walk away hoping I didn't give offense, or give the impression that my companion offended me, causing them bruised feelings.  If I'm lucky, my companion keeps talking.  Eventually they say something that, inexplicably, frees me from whatever my brain is caught on, and I find my words again.  I am not angry or upset when this happens.  I'm stalled. 

If this happens while you're speaking with an Aspie, please be patient.  My lay explanation for this is that our brains don't process input in the same way that NT brains do.  If you can keep on speaking in a non-demanding way, that might help.  I know it helps me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment